Thursday, October 11, 2012

Conventional Wisdom about Social Media

I guess for me seeing is believing. Like many people, especially of my generation, I have entered the world of social media begrudgingly, participating some but never truly embracing it. That changed earlier this week when I attended the 2012 NACWAA Convention in Kansas City.

At this multiple-day event attended by hundreds of people, I could observe how the organization promoted the use of social media, primarily Twitter, and the response it got. I could also read the individual tweets and see what elements other people chose to highlight about an experience I was sharing.

Based on both observation and presentations I heard, here are a few thoughts I came away with:
  • There will be some trial and error in building a platform.
  • Platform building also will take time, and therefore, patience.
  • You can tell a story even if you only use 144 characters.
  • An important part of a platform is helping others.
So, I think I'm finally ready to embrace the use of social media. How about you?


Follow me on Twitter  or subcribe to free email updates of this blog by clicking the link at the top right.


2 comments:

  1. Great, concise advice, Michelle. I'm enjoying the community, whether I'm building much of a following or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gerry. What I find interesting about my own reaction to seeing the interaction on a larger scale is that it inspired me rather than discouraged me. I saw some things I feel I can apply to my own use of social media that will make it more fun for me no matter the size of the community.

      Delete