Thursday, March 20, 2014

The First Day of Spring


The First Day of Spring

It’s the first day of spring.
Daylight and darkness are equal,
but, for me, it’s the longest
day of the year.

Humans get so excited
when they see me.
I wish I knew who
started that myth
about seeing the
first robin of spring.
Besides, I don’t control
the weather.

Late snows aren’t a 
picnic for me either.
Flying in that stuff is brutal.
No one de-ices me and
I don’t have windshield wipers.
I get tired of eating frozen food
and don’t get me started on
shoveling out the nest.

Well, it’s only 24 hours.
Then, I can go back
to being just another
one of the birds.

This poem was written in response to this week's prompt on Poetic Asides.

Follow me on Twitter or click the Join this Site link to follow this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment