Thursday, August 29, 2013

le stein

 
 
 
Challenge No. 4 of the Our Lost Jungle Poetry Challenge is le stein. Khara House challenged us to write a poem in the style of Gertrude Stein.
 
Browse the link above to learn more about Stein's style. Khara gave us four cues from Stein's work to take into consideration:
  1. Highly experimental
  2. Word associations, while avoiding words with "too much association"
  3. Very much in the present (tense and otherwise)
  4. Repetition as a form of discovery
[Note: Stein did write some poems involving the moon so I chose one of my more playful moon photographs to use on this post.]
 
This has been my favorite challenge so far because I love word association. Usually, I have to rein myself in on this; but, this week, I could do as much as I wanted. Also, it seems like I am using repetition more frequently. The weakness of my le stein, as far as the challenge goes, is that it is too easy to understand.
 
Pace of Play
 
Waiting, waiting,
hating every second
of the waiting.
Feeling the weight
of staying in
the same place.
The waiting is
so frustrating.
I yearn to
look ahead and
pick my spot.
Setup and take
the next shot.
Feel the freedom
of the swing.
Instead, I am stilted.
Wilted by the
heat of the sun.
Not a shade
of shade in
which to stand
while I am
waiting, waiting
for those up
ahead to
move on.
 
 
Follow me on Twitter or click the Join this Site link to follow this blog.




2 comments:

  1. I like it. So poignant as everyone ends up waiting in one form or another!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather. I hoped it had a big picture feel to it.

      Delete