Thursday, May 23, 2013

Where Do You Like To Write?

 
 
My favorite place to write is the Donald J. Hall Sculpture Park at the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art. There are several reasons I enjoy  writing here.
 
1. I like to write in the presence of other art. That is an energy-infusing environment for me. I may write about a piece of art I see or I may write about something else. Either way, being in the presence of art facilitates my writing process.
 
2. I like to go for walks outside. There are many options here. You may walk right up to various sculptures or simply pass by. You may stay at ground level or climb up a little bit. I like to bring my camera and take some photographs in addition to writing. 
 
3. There are plenty of places to sit. Benches may be found throughout the park. You may bring a blanket, your own chair or simply sit on the ground.
 
4. Going to the park makes me feel like I've taken a little getaway, whether I spend an hour or an entire afternoon.
 
Where is your favorite place to write? What qualities draw you to this place?
 
Related Post-The Lost Wax Process
 
Follow me on Twitter or Click the Join this Site link to follow this blog.



6 comments:

  1. I love to write outside! There's just something inspiring about being surrounded by nature and fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Becca. For me, adding in the art outside just enhances the environment.

      Delete
  2. Just this week I was thinking I may not write as much because I'm staying a my desk where I do lots of other things. Told myself I had to begin again to go out to write. I have three places that work for me. One place is in the house, my dining room table. I think it works because I have a view of my backyard and china, a beautiful thing (like art). Also, I like to write at a street side table outside a little cafe in old town Duluth (where I live). The third doesn't seem to be a creative place but never fails to work for me. I grab a starbucks at the drive through, drive to park in front of a beautiful bank of trees (I park under one), shrubs, and steps that back up to a long building. Always lots of wildlife on that bank. I'm alone there; I'm in my personal environment (my car); and it is a contained space. I read a very short inspiring poem or whatever, and before I know it, the muse is sitting right beside me. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those sound like three wonderful places to write, Sabra.

      Delete
  3. I love this, Michelle. I love that connection you can feel from one artistic process to another. Lots of times the air around sculpture also creates that open space for ideas to unfold. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elissa. Your comment reminded me of a quote from "Writing Down the Bones" by Natalie Goldberg:

      If you read a great poem aloud--for example, “To a Skylark” by Percy Bysshe Shelley--and read it the way he set it up and punctuated it, what you are doing is breathing his inspired breath at the moment he wrote that poem. That breath was so powerful it still can be awakened in us over 150 years later.

      I think you can breath the inspired breath of the visual artist, too.

      Delete