Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Duck-The Secret Word



Neatness still was in style when I was growing up. Shirts and blouses were worn tucked in.

My father was the shirt monitor.  Whenever a shirt or blouse crept out from the confines of pants or skirts, Dad yelled “Hey, kaczka”, which means duck in Polish. That was the signal that a shirttail was showing.  All who heard the call quickly reached behind to check their shirts and remedy the situation, if necessary.

Years later, when I was visiting  my parents; my father and I were sitting in the living room. I got up to walk into the kitchen and heard the words “Hey, kaczka.” My hand flew behind my back, but I frowned as I found my shirt was tucked in. My father laughed and said “I wanted to see if you remembered.”

Yes, Dad. I remember.


Follow me on Twitter or click the Join this site link to follow this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment