Thursday, July 25, 2013

Writing Out Grief

 
 
Writing Out Grief
 
I face the page.
It represents the way
I feel as is-empty.
Yet, I need to share
words, to talk about
you, about my day,
about the way your
loss has changed me.
I must say what I want
 to say in my own way.
I need to write out
the grief even though
that will not make
it go away.
 
 
Writing is a useful tool in the grieving process. Why?
  • Grievers need to tell their stories and writing is one way to do that. 
  • Everyone's grief is unique and so is everyone's voice. No one can tell your story like you can.
  • You can be honest in a way you can't in talking to someone else.
  • Write to remember (memories) and not to forget (what is happening at the moment).
  • Write to think things through.
What could you write?
  • A word or two-perhaps the same words repeated.
  • Phrases or sentences-again, these may be repeated.
  • Meditations or affirmations.
  • Prayers
  • Letters-to your lost loved one, to God, even to yourself.
  • Journal Entries-Even these don't necessarily have to be long. Take a look at the book A Grief Observed by C.S. Lewis. His journal entries varied in length.
How do you start writing?
  • Start writing by writing-put words down on paper or screen.
  • Write whatever comes to mind.
  • Turn off your inner editor or critic. There is no right or wrong about your writing and no one will be grading it.
  • Say what you need to say.
Have you ever written out your grief? Did you find it helpful?
 
 
Follow me on Twitter or click the Join this Site link to follow this blog.




No comments:

Post a Comment